It’s that time of the year; a lot of extra sleep is needed to get over the jet lag of CES. Las Vegas should not be a healthy place to start the business year, but the Aeotec team gets to meet so many great people and do a lot of business so no complaints from us!
As always, Aeotec used CES to set the tone for the new year. In 2019, that sees acquisitions and our devices offering unparalleled quality.
- Door / Window Sensor 7 made its debut. It’s a feature packed security and intelligence sensor built upon our 13 year experience of making Z-Wave sensors. Door / Window Sensor 7 is a 3-in-1 device offering a contact sensor, universal binary input (making it an upgrade path for Aeotec’s Dry Contact Sensor), and gyroscope underpinned by Aeotec’s patented Spatial Intrusion Algorithm, and an 3 year battery life. Door / Window Sensor 7 will start shipping to partiers in Q1 2019 and should reach e-commerce shortly thereafter.
- Aeotec announced its acquisition of German Z-Wave maker Popp. What does this mean? More quality Z-Wave from Aeotec. We already had the largest range of quality Z-Wave products available, but we’e now going to take it up a level. Future Z-Wave devices from Aeotec will benefit from German engineering, best-in-class Z-Wave firmware and antenna design, Aeotec’s 13 years’ experience in Z-Wave, and Popp’s 80 year experience in making home switches, sockets, and lamps.
- Smart Switch 7 was previewed. You’re going to be hearing the phrase “best-in-class” a lot from Aeotec over the coming years thanks to our pivot towards Germany. And that phrase is definitely going to be applied to Smart Switch 7.Currently in development for our EU customers, Smart Switch 7 will the smallest-best-certified smart plug available with Z-Wave. Shipping later this year, it’ll feature energy monitoring, S2, and Smart Start.
- A movement sensor design for asset monitoring and tracking also made the cut for CES. An extract of the technology pioneered in Door / Window Sensor 7, ‘Movement Sensor’ (working title) is set for release later this year.
- We started talking about our Z-Wave 700 series roadmap. It’s early days, but we have very clear roadmap on the devices we’ll be releasing. More in that in future updates.
And even though this listicle is only 5 items long, we do like turning things all the way up to 11 (as our firmware shows) so we’ll use an inflated number for the bonus.
- We released a new video which sets the tone for everything Aeotec is pursuing in 2019. It’s not device focussed, it’s meaning focussed. It’s how we see smart home and it’ll underpin how Aeotec will develop devices and solutions. It’s very personal to us so much so that it’s narrated by our CEO. See it below or at youtube.com/aeotec.